On a Swing Among Trees Face Serum in a Mist
This product is the outcome of Ava's obsession with ancient precious resins, as there are four of them included here (myrrh, frankincense serrata, frankincense sacra, and copaiba). Myrrh and frankincense are energetically similar: they are both deep-penetrating and dry. Now, dry may not sound like a good thing in a skincare product, but herbal substances that are dry do indeed offer skin benefits: they reduce oiliness and speed drying up of acne breakouts, but they often act in a magically intelligent way, so normal or dry skin does not become drier or stripped off. And keep in mind that these resins offer many other skincare benefits beyond the drying action, which we describe further under Benefits below.
Many of our products are anchored in a specific geographic area. This is not because the area sounds exotic, but rather because gathering several ingredients from the same region together in one product produces a powerful energetic message. Many of the ingredients in Swing are from the hot, dry terroir of Ethiopia, Somalia, and Oman. The turmeric hydrosol that serves as the foundation of this formula enhances its aromatic warmth and spice, leaving one with the feeling of being transported to a hot, dry African land with every use.
Mist over freshly cleansed skin morning and night, then follow with your moisturizer of choice. Alternately, the serum-mist may be dispensed with a pump and massaged in using circular motions a few drops at a time, similarly to an essence. Shake periodically to remix.
This serum-mist is not about hydrating. In fact, it is a dry serum in a liquid format that strives to deliver a very natural skin feel when you or someone else touches your face: the skin is matte, perfectly soft, well-conditioned, springy and alive, and dry—not oily, coated, or sticky from products.
The key ingredients here are for wrinkles, loss of skin firmness or vigor, collagen loss, and damaged or weak skin barrier. One special quality of Swing is that it enlivens skin cells, so the tissue appears firmer and more robust, wrinkled areas appear tauter, and there is an overall increased energy in the facial appearance. In addition, the formula subdues surface inflammation, controls congestion-related hyperpigmentation, and reduces acne, thanks to its antimicrobial ingredients. A few ingredient highlights:
- We utilized a very progressive plant ceramide–cholesterol complex that has been scientifically proven to boost the functioning of mature skin on several counts: after the first four weeks of use, it was found that the skin moisture content increased by 27%, transdermal water loss decreased by 32%, and skin elasticity increased by 10%. This complex was proven to increase skin cell differentiation and lipid synthesis (processes that naturally slow as we age) and to improve the skin-barrier function (one marker of poor skin-barrier function is that skin becomes dehydrated easily due to excessive transdermal water loss).
- We included an ultra-low-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid to support mature skin. As we age, the levels of hyaluronic acid in our skin decrease and the likelihood of wrinkles and sagging increases. Hyaluronic acid enhances water content in the skin, resulting in a plumper skin appearance, and it has also been proven to increase skin elasticity. The very low molecular weight of hyaluronic acid means that it penetrates the skin better. Our hyaluronic acid is plant-based, vegan, and non-GMO.
- Myrrh, frankincense, and rose have been used since antiquity to prevent and soften the appearance of wrinkles. Myrrh and frankincense move energy and stimulate circulation while they dry up dampness, and they are analgesic (pain reducing). To translate the herbalist's language into English: these substances stimulate the metabolic processes in the cells, encourage healthy circulation and expulsion of toxins (which will manifest as less puffiness and a well-oxygenated facial coloring), reduce inflammation (which may appear as redness or red breakouts or rosacea), reduce oiliness, and dry up acne breakouts faster.
- Myrrh has been used for thousands of years for wound healing, including for infected wounds, which speaks to its broad antimicrobial properties. Myrrh is very effective for painful acne breakouts (it decreases the pain and speeds their healing), and it facilitates healing of acne breakouts without infection and without scarring.
- We source our myrrh and frankincense extracts from slow, sustainable, artisanal distillers who oversee their own suppliers of the resin harvests carefully to prevent overtapping of the trees. We use resin extractions in very low percentages, and always based on the medicinal properties, not merely for scent. We also utilize one especially sustainable extraction method by using our own sun-infused resin essences (made in a similar way to Bach flower essences and Ava's Pacific Northwest Essences), where half a teaspoon of the solar extract ends up in a whole batch of a finished skincare product, and where one small handful of resin is enough for a few hundred product batches.
- We have added mend-all turmeric to reduce hyperpigmentation and redness (inflammation), and German chamomile extract to calm redness and soften the skin tissue. Copaiba resin is another heavy-lifting ingredient that reduces wrinkles and acne and minimizes pore appearance, yet is nonirritating.
If you are wondering which face serum is the right choice for you:
Choose Nap in the Meadow Serum (aloe-based, barely gelled) if you would like a very hydrating, quenching, and cooling product. Choose Resiliency Face Serum (a medium-thickness gel) if you would like an instantly plumping, firming, depuffing, and anti-acne product. Choose Cistus and Moonlight Face Mist if you are looking for a hydrosol-based hydrating mist and enjoy dark, honey-like scents. Finally, choose Swing if you are looking to address signs of skin aging with a dry yet very fragrant serum that is appropriate for even the oiliest skin and for humid climates, and make sure to supplement your routine with other hydrating and emollient products.
The base of this mist is a very special distillation of turmeric rhizomes that smells spicy like turmeric, but also surprisingly fresh and even a little green. We punched up the green note with an unusually complex extraction of German blue chamomile, and then added myrrh and frankincense serrata, which provide the warm and dry center.
Spicy, balsamic, and resinous scents have long been associated with spiritual attunement, meditative quiet, and reverence. Saffron enhances these associations, elevating this product to an all-doshas balancer when you use it as an aura mist.
We also added a few sun-infused essences that anchor the product even more deeply in the lands from which many of the ingredients are sourced: Ethiopian garnet gem essence, Ethiopian rainbow opal, Omani frankincense sacra resin essence, and Omani myrrh essence.
For all skin types, especially oily, oily with acne, and oily and mature. We highly recommend this product for very hot and humid climates.
Noncomedogenic and nonphotosensitizing.
Curcuma longa (turmeric) rhizome hydrosol*, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, Sodium hyaluronate (plant-derived), plant ceramide complex (ceteareth-25 [emulsifier, 0.18% total amount in formula], glycerin, cetyl alcohol, behenic acid, cholesterol, ceramide NP, ceramide NS, ceramide EOS, ceramide EOP, ceramide AP, caprooyl phytosphingosine, caprooyl sphingosine), Commiphora myrrha (myrrh) oil†, Boswellia (frankincense) serrata extract†, Copaifera officinalis (copaiba balsam) resin†, colloidal silver, Curcuma longa (turmeric) rhizome CO2 extract*, Chamomilla recutita (German chamomile) flower CO2 extract*, Crocus sativus L. (saffron) absolute*, potassium sorbate (natural food-grade preservative), caprylyl capryl glucoside (naturally derived, non-GMO), Citrus limon juice*, Rosa centifolia flower absolute, Ethiopian garnet gem essence, Ethiopian opal gem essence, frankincense sacra resin essence†, and myrrh resin essence†.
*Certified organic. †Responsibly wildcrafted.
Certified cruelty free, vegan, handcrafted, small batch, gluten free.
Full size: 50 ml
Travel size: 15 ml
Freshness guaranteed for 6 months
Handcrafted in Washington